THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO:
• DO NOT smoke for 1 week post operatively. This will most likely cause a dry socket. You may use a nicotine patch.
• DO NOT use mouth washes such as Listerine; only use the salt water until completely healed. Do not rinse vigorously
• DO NOT drink any carbonated beverage, spit or use straws for 3-4 days. If you do this will most likely cause a dry socket
• DO NOT lie flat for 48 hours – sleep elevated at no less than a 45 degree angle reclined to help decrease swelling (this could be in a recliner and/or by using extra pillows in bed to elevate yourself from the hips up.)
THINGS YOU SHOULD DO:
• You should fill your prescribed medication, eat a small meal, and take the medication within approximately one hour post- surgery starting with the Motrin. Continue Motrin every 6-8 hours for the first 4-5 days post surgery. Only use the narcotic if pain is not controlled with the Motrin. DO NOT take the narcotic medication unless it is needed. Discontinue if upset stomach occurs, or if you have a contraindication to taking ibuprofen/Motrin. If you have been prescribed an anti-nausea medication, this is an as needed prescription. Any other prescribed medication will need to be taken as directed
• The day of surgery you may eat soft foods only. You may begin chewing more solid foods a week post- surgery.
• 24 hours after surgery begin stretching and rinsing your mouth. Do your stretches in sets of 10, 10 times a day to increase your oral opening. Use salt water only to rinse - 8oz glass of water to 1 tablespoon of salt. DO NOT rinse vigorously. Very gently rinse (swirl) and allow rinse to fall out of the mouth. You should rinse at least 3 times daily; including after each meal and before bedtime. Continue salt water rinse for one week or until surgery site is healed. You may start brushing your teeth 24 hours after surgery. Brush very gently around the surgery site.
• Place firm pressure with bite, on the moistened gauze, behind your back teeth or surgery site for an hour at a time. Change gauze every hour until oozing subsides, and then change as needed. This helps to stabilize the blood clot and promote healing. Gauze should be removed to eat and sleep; replace as needed after eating. Gauze should always be moistened when in use.
• Apply ice pack to the outside of surgical area 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off for the first 36 hours post operatively. After 36 hours you may switch to moist heat for comfort. Peak swelling usually occurs on the third or fourth post- operative day.
THINGS YOU SHOULD EXPECT:
• You may have varying degrees of discomfort, swelling, bleeding, bad taste, jaw stiffness, mild temperature elevation, and facial discolorations are normal for 2-10 days post surgery.
• You may experience some numbness or tingling in the week following the procedure. Should this continue longer than a week, please call the office.
• Stitches may come untied or dissolve at different times following surgery; anywhere from day 2 through day 12
• Not all post-operative issues can be resolved over the phone and may require an in person follow up appointment
THE ORAL & IMPLANT SURGERY CENTER BRYAN DARLING DDS, MD
317 SOUTHWEST DRIVE, SUITE A ~ JONESBORO, AR 72401 ~ PH: 870.933.1221. ~ FX: 870.933.6333
Office Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:30am-5pm; Friday Closed